AmigaActive (1668/2143)

From:Simon Preston
Date:25 May 2000 at 18:19:15
Subject:Re: AGA and Iiyama monitor

> Currently I have a nice new Iiyama SJ700JT1 monitor bought a few weeks ago
> together with a scandoubler/flicker fixer which works and looks terrific.
> However, I seem to be limited to just the standard PAL and NTSC
> screenmodes, which while very nice hardly do the monitor justice.

You wanna do the monitor justice? Don't use AGA. Get a gfx card!!! I don't
care if you can't afford one!! Get one dirt cheap on Amibench or something.
> If I try
> to use anything else, because of the scandoubler/flicker fixer it wont
> display, I just get a nice little "out-of-range" message on the screen. If
> I buy one of those 23pin to VGA adaptors can I make use of some of the
> other higher resolution AGA/multisync modes by not using the scandoubler?

Yes. If your are using an external scandoubler/flixer then you should be
able to get those Multiscan modes anyway. Put VGAOnly AND Multiscan in
Devs:Monitors. Both can be found in SYS:Storage/Monitors.

However, if you're using an internal one then you can't and will need the
23pin-VGA adaptor.
> In the manual it says....

> Scanning Frequency - H-Frequency 30kHz - 70kHz
> V-Frequency 50kHz - 160kHz

Well Multiscan displays at about 29khz. Which would give you the "out of
range" message. However, with VGAonly running you should be able to get
31.44khz which will display.

It all depends on the scandoubler. External will work with VGA modes,
Internal ones don't.
> And before anyone suggests the obvious I can't afford a tower/ busboard /
> GFX card combo atm. :)

Well start saving. I'd love a graphics card but I'm currently saving for
something else.
Regards

Simon Preston
ICQ:41353091

http://www.music-laboratory.co.uk/

tagline. This is a moebius tagline. This is a mo ...

Old school buds here: